Sunday 25 March 2012

"Manic Monday"

"Tell me why? I don't like Mondays. Tell my why? I don't like Mondays. I want to shoo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down." ~ #1 hit for The Boomtown Rats in 1979

Ah, Bob Geldof. Always with his finger on the pulse of society. Granted, his work with LiveAID and the starving in Africa was probably a bit more impactful overall (just a bit) but one can't overlook his popular ode to what is arguably the least popular day of the week.

Tuesday is OK. Wednesday is "hump day", when you know that by the end of it you are in the home stretch. Thursday is exciting because Friday is just around the corner - you are losing steam but you know you can hold on for one more day. Friday is bliss because the weekend is so close that you can almost touch it. Saturday is all about decadence - you can sleep in, play with your kids, party all night, and your time is yours. Sunday is bittersweet - there is a laid back energy in the morning but by late afternoon you start to realize that your precious freedom is slipping through your fingers. Before you know it it's here, that dreaded of all days: MONDAY!

So how did this happen? How did poor, little, old Monday get such a bad rap? Well, 66% of North Americans start their work week on a Monday for one. Is it a sign that we aren't happy with our jobs? I actually really like my job and the company that I work for. It's clearly not the job in my case.

Maybe it's me and not Monday itself. Nothing bad has ever happened to me on a Monday so there is really no reason that I should discriminate against it. It's not like that time when I was in fourth grade and got food poisoning after eating a meal that included Rice-a-Roni which subsequently resulted in a life long aversion to the "San Francisco treat".

There is an anonymous quote in the book Practically Radical by William Taylor that really speaks to me, "If all you ever do is all you have ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got." OK, anonymous person, I hear what you are saying and I am going to take up your challenge. So here's a revolutionary idea, why don't I change how I approach Mondays?

Here's another statistic from the April 2012 issue of Chatelaine magazine, "74% of people view Mondays as the best day to start acting healthy; moreover, it's the day new habits are most likely to stick and become permanent lifestyle changes."

I feel that an apology is in order...

Dear Monday,
I am sorry that I have not showed you enough gratitude and have not given you your due respect. Beginning tomorrow I promise to embrace you and the world of opportunity that you represent, 52 times each year. It won't always be easy but I promise to give it 100%.
Sincerely,
me

Clean slate. Fresh start. Bring on Monday.

KB xo

P.S. want to embrace Monday, too? Check out this great, inspiring website with ideas about how to make healthy, positive changes each and every Monday of your life: www.mondaycampaigns.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Eating Disorders: What Are We Truly Hungry For?"

    For two years in my 30's I had an eating disorder: bulimia. It took me ten years to admit that to anyone, even my doctor. I f...