Sunday 13 May 2012

"My Superhero"

"There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity." ~ Washington Irving, American writer

In life, if you are lucky, you have people around you who will nurture you, laugh with you, lift you up when you are down, nudge you in a direction if needed, and provide you with pure love - no strings attached. Usually, there aren't many people who check all the boxes. In my case, I am one of those lucky people because I have my mom.

My mom tells me all the time that she created me for herself. To say that my mom and I are close would be an understatement. We speak on a daily basis, share similar taste in music (she raised me on 70's rock - The Eagles & Rod Stewart!), are both bleeding heart liberals, and have had some of the very best laugh-until-you-cry moments ever. My mom taught me to do my very best and to treat people well. She was (and is) a feminist who told me it was OK to like Barbie but that I could also be and do whatever I wanted - I was free to be me and choose my life. Aside from brush your teeth and eat your vegetables, she has never told me what to do. She has always encouraged me to make my own decisions. I adore my mom - she is simply the best.

My mom has had challenges in her life, probably not the least of which has been being the mother of a person who battles depression. She understands the illness well. She been there every step of the way with me through my personal battle, but she has also supported other family members who have walked that same path. On top of that, she has waged her own wars against depression. Through it all she has remained strong. How she has done it, I will never know. What I do know is that I am eternally grateful that I was raised by an inspiration and example of true strength, courage, and beauty.

Yes, my mom said she created me for herself. She also got more than she bargained for with some of the "downs" that she helped me through. But each time depression reared it's ugly head my mom simply took my hand and walked along with me. Did I mention that I was born the morning after Mother's Day in 1969? I think, in the end, the real gift was to me.

To my mom, my superhero, I dedicate this post to you.

KB xo

P.S. To mommy #2, ditto! xo





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Eating Disorders: What Are We Truly Hungry For?"

    For two years in my 30's I had an eating disorder: bulimia. It took me ten years to admit that to anyone, even my doctor. I f...