Sunday 28 October 2012

"Keep Moving"

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” ~ Maya Angelou
 
 
The one constant in life, the thing that unites humankind, seems to be suffering. Yes, life seems to be equal opportunity in this area. Last week I wrote about some horrible news that I received about someone whom I love. Although it wasn't about me, it hit me in a very personal way.

But I was not alone. Three friends also shared stories of bad news and adversity last week. Although we all suffer at some point in life, it's how we face our struggles that separates us.

My last post was about letting myself feel the myriad of emotions attached to life's valleys. A friend who read it and who has faced her fair share of challenges, shared some advice that I think hits the nail on the head: life is about showing up. Darn right it is.

When I feel sad or depressed my natural default state is to withdraw from the world. Sometimes that means pulling the covers up over my head. Sometimes I need that time to regroup and replenish my spirit and soul.  This past week I did a little bit of that but I also knew that I needed to balance that with connection - connection with friends and family, and connection with purpose. In this case, my purpose was work.

Although there were many times that I felt like crying (sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't), I persevered. As I often say, it was one foot in front of the other.

But here is the bigger question: how can our point of view impact our recovery from trauma or bad news? Yes, bad things happen. Does that mean that the world is an awful place? Some people would answer yes to that question. My answer is no. And that is the key.

I have written about automatic negative thoughts (ANTs) in the past and I think it's a concept worth revisiting in this context. We are all human beings and it's natural to think negative things at times, especially when faced with the worst. Acknowledge your pain, sadness, and anger - don't push it away. But then make a choice as to which path you will take. Do you want to move forward and find happiness? Or do you want to stay where you are?

It may be a hard question to answer and taking the steps forward can be terrifying. As Maya Angelou said, "You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated."

I found comfort this week. There was comfort in friends who hugged me and let me cry. There was comfort in focusing on work. There was comfort in snuggles with my nephew. Sometimes when bad things happen to us, it also shows us the good in this world.

KB xo



6 comments:

  1. I love cycling and the top picture you have on here is inspiring for me. I too have had a tough week, but I am moving on. My nephews are my favourite way to unwind and be comforted.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Danielle! Glad you like the bicycle - I find the images on Pinterest and sometimes what I find inspires what I will write.

      Delete
  2. thanks for working so hard on your blog. i find i'm really looking forward to updates and you never seem to let me down. please keep it up. i also see partners for mental health has another program they are kicking off. were you aware? dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      Yup - Partners For Mental Health has a great new campaign that shines light on the huge issue of youth mental illness. Stay tuned for a post soon from me about this topic!

      Delete
  3. Listened to Margaret Trudeau and met her tonight. Great experience if you ever have the chance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave,
    I really love Margaret Trudeau and would love to hear her speak one day. You're a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete

"Eating Disorders: What Are We Truly Hungry For?"

    For two years in my 30's I had an eating disorder: bulimia. It took me ten years to admit that to anyone, even my doctor. I f...