Monday 21 April 2014

"Progress Not Perfection"

strive for progress.


In my last post I said something that isn't true. I said that I am getting better at managing stress in my life. Wrong.

My body sent me a reminder of this recently - frequent lightheadedness and some heart palpitations thrown in for good measure, just in case I didn't get the hint from the dizziness. Message received, loud and clear.

The diagnosis? Physical symptoms of anxiety. Doctor's orders were to take a week off from work and focus on slowing things down and creating more balance and quiet in my life. And to make sure that I heeded his advice, the universe also threw in a rough bout of the common cold. I had no choice - I was forced to slow it down and focus on my health.

So why do we ignore what we know to be true when it comes to our physical and mental health? Why do we avoid doing what we know is healthy and good for us? With mental illness it is frequently a battle between the negative dialogue of depression (you aren't good enough; work harder - you have to prove yourself) with reality (you have nothing to prove; you are good enough just as you are). Honestly? The negative dialogue often wins. The negative perpetuates a cycle of depression and anxiety.

“Dare to love yourself
as if you were a rainbow
with gold at both ends.” 
~ Aberjhani, The River of Winged Dreams

Here's the real truth: I don't have all the answers. You're shocked, I know (insert sarcasm here). But I learn a little bit more every day and what I glean from my life experiences, I apply to my journey. And what I have learned from this most recent experience is the importance of perspective and what is really important in life.

So here's my pledge to myself:
* I pledge to create pockets of quiet time in my daily work life.
* I pledge to create simplicity and avoid complication.
* I pledge to express my love every chance that I get to the ones who are important to me.
* I pledge to just breathe in and out.

Life is stressful - we can all agree on that, right? At work when I ask someone how they are, I often receive a response of "busy!" My final pledge is to not fall into that trap - I will focus on the positive.

Every day brings new lessons for us. And really, what is the point of life if we don't choose to learn and grow? I shall strive for progress, not perfection. Perfection is boring, anyway.

KB xo

6 comments:

  1. Another wonderful blog and for me..perfect timing, thank you! I have also been struggling with "balance" and what I want to do, and what I "should do", and then throw in the stressers of life and it can be a perfect storm. Thank you for the reminding me its about balance and for letting me know, I am not alone with my struggle. Cheers and be well
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy! Two things that I know to be true: we all need reminders and we are never truly alone. xo

      Delete
  2. I believe balance is a moving target, but we can get closer to it for sure... and make it move more slowly. I have been on the same journey of late, to find balance. To do what is right for me. That means being home and in bed by 10:30 at the latest, it means saying no to some social engagements, and yes to others. It means not worrying if the bathroom is dirty or the vacuuming needs doing. It means giving myself a break. It means working 4 days a week. Those things all help me, for now. At times I can say yes to more social engagements than others. At times my house is cleaner than others etc... Moving target. Take good care. I hope you are in that sweet spot of balance soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving target? You bet! Thanks for the comments, as always!

      Delete
  3. As someone who works both at home and in the community, finding "balance" is always tricky...for sure feel like it is more a dynamic - a combination of work/health/social movements that through integration and conscious living, can be managed to where things feel in flow. Of course, practice makes perfect...and I believe we are here to practice for our lifetimes...and beyond. Thanks for the post once again...and Gute Besserung, as they say over here to those in need of rest and improved health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gute Besserung to you as well, my friend!

      Delete

"Eating Disorders: What Are We Truly Hungry For?"

    For two years in my 30's I had an eating disorder: bulimia. It took me ten years to admit that to anyone, even my doctor. I f...